JessicaSprague.com Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Karen Russell's Photographers' Workshop
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 2
TOPIC: Karen Russell's Photographers' Workshop
julip1882
Runs with Crop Tool!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Karen Russell's Photographers' Workshop 4 Years, 7 Months ago  
Anyone interested in the 9 week on-line photography workshop that Karen teaches should check out her recent blog post regarding changes for 2010....
pricing for the workshop has changed, you can now "audit" the class for a lower rate than the full participation version and also alumni can "audit" the class.
She is also adding some "making the shot" pdf lessons for past and current students.
check it out.....
karenrussell.typepad.com/my_lifejust_not...-twice-maybe-fo.html

Logged Logged

Juli P
CS4
Canon 5D, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

thepelletierfamily.blogspot.com
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
mjacchina
Pumped from Using the mouse!
Re:Karen Russell's Photographers' Workshop 4 Years, 7 Months ago  
Thanks for the info! I've been waiting for this class and might have missed the updated registration date if not for your post!

Logged Logged

Julie
Nikon D90
Plus a whole bunch of classes!
PC, CS6
paws
Ctrl-a Ctrl-c Ctrl-v Ka-chow!
I recently finished up her workshop and loved it. I can't believe how much I learned during those 9 weeks - it was worth every penny. I'm really excited about some of the things she has in store for her alumni students as well.

Logged Logged

CS4, Windows XP
Nikon D300, Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 AF VR, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

kam
I agree with Paws - the class is very well taught and there is something for evey level of photographer - the class compliments Candice's classes - it was very helpful to learn fomr different styles

Logged Logged

Penny Leyn
Newbie!
oh no i'm so disappointed i had already made up my mind on taking her workshop (or at least trying to get in) but now i've seen it's gone up $100 !!!
i love photography, though it's just a hobby for me. i really want to learn how to use my camera in manual mode and be confident with it (right now i only shoot in automatic due to lack of confidence), improve my photography skills, and learn to take better photos. i really think i need some help with this, and have read so many good reviews about karen's workshop and adore her style so much, that it seemed perfect for me.
but now it's over my budget and don't know if it will be worth it for me. i've seen a lot of people on this workshop are/plan to be professional photographers at some level, and that is not my case.
if someone who has already taken the course can tell me if this workshop is what i'm looking for (and if it's worth it to make he effort and take it) or if you consider it is aimed for people who want to learn photography, not as a hobby, but on another level?
thank you so much!!

Logged Logged
sunscrap
Life is in the journey
Karen's class definitely is for hobby photographers. Take her class and you will take that camera off auto. I took Candice's class here before I took Karen's and that was really helpful. Candice's class is a great first class to get your camera off auto. Karen teaches photography skills, but at the same time, stays true to the "Mom" photographer that wants emotional, meaningful everyday pics of the family. I took the regular class from Karen, but I could have done just as well if the audit class had been available. I personally never asked a question, but by reading the questions and answers that were asked, learned a lot. I also never got around to submitting pics for Karen to critique. Bottom line, take the class. You won't be disappointed.

Logged Logged
julip1882
Runs with Crop Tool!
Penny,
I took her class a year ago. It was awesome! I am not a professional, just a hobby photographer who got tired of spending $$ and time scrapbooking crappy photos. I took that class, took my camera off of auto...still working on getting to manual, but will get there soon enough.
The materials and information that she gives in the class are amazing and worth every penny.
I actively participated, but only because the $275 that I paid was a lot of money for me and I wanted to get my money's worth. But there was more thn 2/3 of the class that never actively participated. Like the previous poster, you'll get a ton out of just auditing the class, if that is what your budget permits.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Logged Logged

Juli P
CS4
Canon 5D, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

thepelletierfamily.blogspot.com
kam
Just wanted to echo the above posts -- the class is geared towards a hobby photographer - it will provide more info then you can process at first - but I find myself going back to the lessons time and time again the more advanced I get. I only posted a few lessons because of computer problems and still felt like I was part of the class -I would audit the class - you will still learn alot and it is money well spent.

Logged Logged

dawns
Digital Superstar!
Gender: Female DawnSmithDesigns Location: The Old Line State, hon Birthday: 05/21
I highly recommend her workshop...I loved it! I agree that it's worth every penny

Dawn

Logged Logged

Penny Leyn
Newbie!
thank you so much for your help!!! i was really disappointed and thought that was it, but after reading your comments i'm really excited again!!
i hadn't considered auditing, because i was afraid i would have doubts and wouldn't be able to solve them, but you are right!! i hadn't realised that i would have access to the message board and to all the answered questions of my classmates, so that's awesome!! and in my budget!! so i think i will be auditing the class. plus, i've read that it is really clearly explained, even for begginers, so not being able to participate shouldn't be an issue, right?
thank you very much for your encouragement. i can't wait to learn from her, become best friends with my camera, and get rid of the automatic at last (or at least try...)!!

Logged Logged
mickeerm
Gender: Female Location: American Canyon, CA Birthday: 09/10
I have recently "graduated" from Karen's class in November and I must say that it is truly money well spent. I never did complete all the assignments because of a death in the family, but I did learn so much from reading the forums, looking through the submitted photos and Karen's critiques. The audio is something I listen to over and over - until now. Auditing is definitely the way to go if you think the fee is too much and if you think you would be ok with not actively participating in class and getting Karen's feedbacks on your photos.

Logged Logged

Mickee
Blog - www.meandmy4boys.blogspot.com
Nikon D600 with Sigma 35 1.4, Nikon 85 1.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRI, 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 VRII, SB-700
iMac, CS5, LR4
mjacchina
Penny,
The content of Karen's class was discusssed in detail a few months ago on this forum here:

www.jessicasprague.com/index.php?option=...tid=30&id=133055

I agree that taking the full class is a lot of money. I may audit too.

Logged Logged

Julie
Nikon D90
Plus a whole bunch of classes!
PC, CS6
Juls~
Get Into Creatif Mode!
Digital Superstar!
Gender: Female Papier Creatif Location: Dallas, TX, Metroplex Birthday: 09/07
If you are a 1st time student, can you audit the class immediately or must you take a class of hers first? If so, I'm assuming registration for the next class begins 2.01.10? {right???}

Logged Logged

Juls~

www.papiercreatif.blogspot.com

Adobe Photoshop CS5
Adobe Photoshop Elements + Premiere 12
Canon 60D
mickeerm
Juls, yes, you can audit the class immediately even if you're a first time student. And yes, I think class registration is on Feb. 1.

What you cannot do if you're not a past, present, or auditing student, is avail of her Making the Shot lessons. She discusses it in detail here - karenrussell.typepad.com/my_lifejust_not...-twice-maybe-fo.html

Logged Logged

Mickee
Nikon D600 with Sigma 35 1.4, Nikon 85 1.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRI, 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 VRII, SB-700
iMac, CS5, LR4
Juls~
Get Into Creatif Mode!
Digital Superstar!
mickeerm wrote:
Juls, yes, you can audit the class immediately even if you're a first time student. And yes, I think class registration is on Feb. 1.

What you cannot do if you're not a past, present, or auditing student, is avail of her Making the Shot lessons. She discusses it in detail here - karenrussell.typepad.com/my_lifejust_not...-twice-maybe-fo.html

Mick!

Thank you for answering this! I was wondering and had to search for this thread!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/01/14 14:55 By Juls~.

Juls~

Adobe Photoshop CS5
Canon 60D
marina013
Runs with Crop Tool!
I'm thinking I might audit the class too. I don't seem to get around to posting too much, so that would probably be enough for me. The comparisons between Candace's class & Karen Russell's are interesting. I did Candace's & absolutely loved it, but didn't have a great camera at the time. I've been going over the lessons again with my new Canon 7D.

Can someone tell me the name of a City in the Pacific time zone??
I'll put that on the clock in my iphone, & that way I won't miss out on registration for Karen's next class. I'm in Australia.

Logged Logged
Juls~
Get Into Creatif Mode!
Digital Superstar!
Los Angeles, California!

Logged Logged

Juls~

Adobe Photoshop CS5
Canon 60D
mickeerm
There is no limit on the no. of participants for auditing students, unlike participating students where Karen is limiting it because it's a lot more work for her - critiquing, answering questions, etc.

Logged Logged

Mickee
iMac, CS5, LR4
Go to top

Let's Keep in Touch!