JessicaSprague.com Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Canon D5 vs the new D7
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Canon D5 vs the new D7
Pamla
You're never too OLD!
Pumped from Using the mouse!
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female pamlaladon Location: Arkansas Birthday: 03/06
Canon D5 vs the new D7 4 Years, 8 Months ago  
I have an opportunity to purchase a D5 MarkII and but have been looking at the new D7's. The photographer with the D5 told me it has 10mp and that was better than 18mp on the D7 because there was less on the little chip in the camera and he got really good blow up's of his photos with the 10mp. Once he starts talking, he gets so technical that I get lost. There was also a good deal on a used D1 with 10 mp that I passed up because the newer versions had more mp. I'm looking for portraits and event camera using my rebel as a backup.

I thought that more mp were better and now I am confused. If you could have one or the other which would you get and why?

Thanks for all the help, I know you will explain it to me in a way that makes sense.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
jimbob_pgh
Runs with Crop Tool!
Re:Canon D5 vs the new D7 4 Years, 8 Months ago  
What he's saying is that 10mil really precise pixels are better than 18mil not so precise pixels. Pixels some times just turn in to marketing hype. You can do out and buy a 10meg pixel $100 point and shoot but that camera doesn't at all compare to a 10meg pixel DSLR.

My son just picked up this Camera from a guy who was upgrading and likes it better than his D50.

jim

Logged Logged
julip1882
Runs with Crop Tool!
the images on a Canon 5D Mark II will be better quality as a blown up photo because of the size of the processor in the camera. The 5DMII has a much better CMOS processor than the 7D.

Logged Logged

Juli P
CS4
Canon 5D, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

thepelletierfamily.blogspot.com
Pamla
You're never too OLD!
Ok, that really helped! I knew someone would be able to explain it to me better here. I just love JS! Everyone is so kind here.

Logged Logged

mbdblue
Digital Superstar!
Juli is right---to clarify, it is the sensor that is smaller on the Canon 7D. The Canon 7D is a "crop sensor" (or 1.6x smaller sensor) compared to the Mark II's "full frame" sensor. The sensor is what captures all the light. The Mark II is a pro-level camera, and the Canon 7D is not. But is the Canon 7D a fantastic camera? ABOSLUTELY! AND, not related to megapixels or sensors, the Canon 7D has a brand new focusing system on it from Canon and it has already gotten fantastic reviews. This focusing system might be one that is moved into newer models of the full-frame cameras, even. Something to think about. Megapixels are important, especially if you blow up photos, but there are sooooo many other, more important factors in choosing a camera.

The Canon 7D is actually the camera I am wanting to get next. And I actually really like crop-sensor bodies because of the extra focal distance I get out of my lenses.

I hope this was not too confusing. I can explain better if you want.

Another thing to remember...in very general terms, the more expensive the camera, the better the camera! Period. BUT... BUT... there are reasons some people prefer different cameras because of what and where they shoot (and their budgets, obviously).

Feel free to PM me if you want a little more info...I just got through listening to some John Greengo videos that went into specific on the Canon body line-up, and it was fantastic info.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/01/10 22:04 By mbdblue.

michelle
www.ourhereandnow.blogspot.com

Canon 7D
24" iMac, CS5, LR3, Bridge, Picasa, Wacom Intuos4
Earl
Digital Superstar!
I am confused about which cameras you are talking about. At the Canon site, I cannot find a D5 Mark II 10 mp camera. What I can find is a 5D Mark II. However, it is a full frame 21.1 mp camera (21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).)

So which camera is it that you have the opportunity to buy?

Logged Logged

Earl
earlkdesign.com
iMac OS 10.7.5
Photoshop CS5
Photoshop CS6
Illustrator CS5
InDesign CS5
Canon PowerShot S90
Canon G16, 1:1.8-2.8, 6.1-30.5mm

CERTIFIED DIGITAL DESIGNER
Pamla
You're never too OLD!
I am finding the same thing,so I'm getting ready to call him and get some more particulars on the camera and make sure I did not misunderstand his info. Then I will post the updated info here. Thanks everyone

Logged Logged

mbdblue
Digital Superstar!
Part of me just thought it was an older camera (the Mark II) you were speaking about...but if it is the newest one then yes, the MP are much higher.

Logged Logged

michelle

Canon 7D
Pamla
You're never too OLD!
I finally got back the info from the seller it is not a 5D it is a 1D Mark III, 10mp. No wonder I couldn't find any info on it. Everything on ebay and amazon seems to be in the $2000 price range for just that camera body. I'm going to try it out soon and see how I like it. So would you take the 1D over the newer 7D? I realize the 1D is considered a professional body and the 7D is considered semi-pro.

Logged Logged

marina013
Runs with Crop Tool!
Michelle, could you explain a bit more about the crop-sensor vs full frame sensor??
I got the 7D for Christmas & absolutely love it, but then it's my very first DSLR.

Logged Logged
Earl
Digital Superstar!
You may want to go to the site of Digital Photography Review

www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

and check out the cameras there. There is also a 1Ds Mark III, so make sure you are looking at the one that is just 1D Mark III. Also look at review for the EOS 7D.

Hope this helps.

Logged Logged

Earl
earlkdesign.com
iMac OS 10.7.5
Photoshop CS5
Photoshop CS6
Illustrator CS5
InDesign CS5
Canon PowerShot S90
Canon G16, 1:1.8-2.8, 6.1-30.5mm

CERTIFIED DIGITAL DESIGNER
mickeerm
Gender: Female Location: American Canyon, CA Birthday: 09/10
marina013 wrote:
Michelle, could you explain a bit more about the crop-sensor vs full frame sensor??
I got the 7D for Christmas & absolutely love it, but then it's my very first DSLR.

I'm not Michelle but I'll try to explain. A 1.6 crop factor on camera just means that the focal distance is multiplied by 1.6. For example, a 50mm becomes 80mm when mounted on a camera with a 1.6 crop factor. However, if that same lens is mounted on a full-frame camera, it becomes a real 50mm lens since there is no crop factor.

Full frame cameras are known to have bigger image sensors than those cameras with crop factor. That said, they take better images in high ISO with less digital noise.

Logged Logged

Mickee
Blog - www.meandmy4boys.blogspot.com
Nikon D600 with Sigma 35 1.4, Nikon 85 1.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRI, 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 VRII, SB-700
iMac, CS5, LR4
mickeerm
Gender: Female Location: American Canyon, CA Birthday: 09/10
Pamla, as far as the megapixels on cameras, I just don't pay attention anymore because it is now becoming a battle of pixels for camera manufacturers. If you are not going to enlarge your images for billboards or murals, 10MP is plenty high. Of course, the higher your MP, the more memory it is going to occupy, both on SD card and on your hard drive.

Logged Logged

Mickee
Blog - www.meandmy4boys.blogspot.com
Nikon D600 with Sigma 35 1.4, Nikon 85 1.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRI, 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 VRII, SB-700
iMac, CS5, LR4
Pamla
You're never too OLD!
Hi Everyone!
I ended up purchasing a Canon 1D Mark III from a local photographer who had an almost new one to sell as He is getting a new camera. He also lent me a lens to try with it which is so gracious of him as it has really helped me decide on what lens I want to get next. I'm using my faithful rebel as a backup and working my way thru the manuel to learn all the bells and whistles on my new camera. Thank you all so much for your help It made me sound a little smarter while searching.
Pam

Logged Logged

mbdblue
Digital Superstar!
Pam- Congrats! I think you made a great choice. (Altho I am apt to say you couldn't have gone wrong...LOL) This camera will last you a long time I am sure! Thanks, Mickee, for the answer on crop sensor...it was just right. I like that my crop sensor gives me a farther "reach" because I take more far away shots than I do wide angle shots, but full frame cameras indeed have advantages, too (and it's awesome that you now have both types---many photographers want a full frame body and a crop body for this reason). Again...congrats!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/01/25 22:55 By mbdblue.

michelle

Canon 7D
Go to top

Let's Keep in Touch!